Instyler


How do I put this delicately... 
How about I'll just be direct. Don't buy the Instyler. 

There I said it. Maybe, like me, you are hypnotically drawn to infomercials. Maybe, like me, you secretly believe it's all crap, but need to try it out for yourself to verify that most things being sold on tv are indeed and indubitably crap. 

Well if you're like me, then you must have one of these dust collectors. 

But it costs anywhere frm $79- $99! That's a lot for a really really low quality product. See, people out there who want to steal from you think painting something silver when it's really cheap plastic makes things seem sturdier and more expensive. I shake my fist at you, Instyler!

So let's get to the functionality of it all, shall we? The Instyler is basically a two-pronged clamping iron. One side is a "rotating barrel" (think curling iron) and the other is a bristled brush attached. Put your hair between the hot, rotating barrel and the bristled side, et, voila! Your hair will be polished to a healthy shine, straight and healthy. Conceptually-speaking. 

The thing is, it worked, to a degree. My hair is more or less straight/properly done, it looks like I blew it out. But it took me 45 minutes. Unacceptable! It's really a slow, tedious, LOUD, process. There are mixed reviews out there on the interwebs about the efficacy of this product. My authority only lies in my personal appearance, my successful recommendations and my ability to be prudent with my cash. Having laid that on the line, I am telling you, with no ulterior motivations, this is a waste of time and and money. Even though it will "do" your hair, it's just not professional or effective enough. 

I am very skilled with the blowdryer, and usually spend about 8 minutes to blow out my hair (which is long and thick, knock-on-wood). This device is basically (very slowly) meant to recreate the whole blow-dry with one hand, twirl your brush in the other hand daily hair situation. But. It's. So. SLOW. And annoying, and really unnecessary for me in my life. And it's such a terribly poor quality product. 

I tried it on myself (I have manageable hair)-- waited until my hair was damp/dry (the perfect way to get good hair) and I felt it was too tedious. I tried it on my friend who has thick thick wavy Indian hair (I did this a few weeks ago. We would still have been sitting here at the rate of output for this device). I kept going over certain sections over and over in order to smooth them out on my own hair and on her hair. Frustrating! I believe the problems lies in the gap between the barrel of the iron and the brush bristles themselves. 

I am not a fan of super straight flat-ironed hair-- I prefer softer waves. This device, in theory, would have been great, but in practice makes too much noise, works too slow  and is not for me. 

Bottom line: Don't buy it! Get yourself like a professional blow dryer and big barreled brush.  If you want straight, spend the hundred bucks on a good quality flat iron and buy good products to help protect your hair. Maybe this would be ok to take with you on a vacation, where a blow dryer would short out a building? There's a use for it in case you already bought it. 

You've been warned. 

Kisses.
S. 

Comments

Popular Posts