Smooth Away Hair Remover


Hair removal always puts me in an off mood. I am South Asian, and unfortunately the happiness I feel after a waxing appointment is short lasted. Almost two and a half days later the hair starts to creep back. That sneaky dark south Asian hair. Always there, always there... always creep creep creepin back. Well at least for now! I WILL somehow, someday get the hairs I don't want removed, and removed for good! Oh you'll see my pretty!

My hair removal process is always an extreme emergency! Is it that way for you too? Or am I just some big spaz? Before I know it, my hair is back and I need to get it removed pronto! For some reason though it I always needs to be removed on a day of some huge event, which unfortunately happens to fall on a day when I have to work late! Almost every few weeks I frantically call my waxing salon, Boom Boom Brow Bar in the West Village, pleading with Malynda or Mel to please please please stay open for me just for a few more minutes! They really are the best! I arrive out of breath, usually trip over something, cussing and complaining about everything. Malynda looks at me and says, "What is going on Lady! Are you going on a last minute trip or something?" I wish! No, it's just me, spastic me G!

So, the other day, I was in another state of massive hair removal emergency. The only problem was that I am on a major budget after some recent travels and unexpected bumps. I decided to go to CVS and see what the store had to offer in terms of hair removal. I frantically ran down all the aisle ways! Why is the hair removal section so bloody hard to spot?!?! Really, they need a big sign in front of it! It is a really important part of the store! Well, at least for me! I think I must have ran down the aisle about 5 times, till a nice lady working there looked at me, probably feeling quite bad for me, and pointed out that it was right in front of me...

I've tried almost all the hair removal products available at CVS. I've tried the wax pots, the wax strips, the creams, the gels, the foams. The one thing I had yet to try was the hair buffer. I once was walking through a street fair in the West Village, and saw a man giving one of those old fashioned sales pitches about this Smooth Away hair removal kit. This is what I think he said... mind you I have a pretty awful memory, but here goes, "Step right up young ladies. Do you have hair you don't want? You have hair in places you never expected? Do you hate all those uncomfortable messy hair removal products out there? Do you wish there was something easier, less expensive, and less messy?" I think to myself... Yes! Speak to me Mr! What have you got there old chap? He asked for a volunteer. And to the embarrassment of my friends, I yelled me me ME! He pulled out a pink pad with a what looked to be a buffer or sorts on the other side. He applied the buffer side to my arm in a quick circular motion, 4 times clockwise and then 4 time counter clock wise. I looked at the section of my arm he applied the pad and the hair was gone! My skin felt baby soft and the hair was gone. I really couldn't believe it! Skeptic me though assumed that he probably was using the only good one, and that the rest he had in boxes were the crap ones. I told him thanks but no thanks and grabbed my friends and headed for some froyo.

Anywayz, around a year and a half later, I'm at CVS, and I think, what the hell. I'm going to buy the Smooth Away hair remover! It's only $9.99. Yeah!!! I race home! You'd think I had a bag of chocolate covered canolli's the way I raced home! That is just the way I am when I have a new beauty experiment pending! I got home and ripped open the boxes. The pack contains a large pad for larger areas like your legs and arms and a smaller pad for smaller areas like your underarms and face. The pad also has a convenient loop on the back so that you have a better grip. So, I tried it, and yes... it kinda works. I have only tried it on my arms, which I get waxed when I remember, and my underarms, which I get waxed regularly. If you are right handed it is much easier to remove the hair off your left arm. The circular hand motion is really hard to achieve on your right arm. The box specifically says to move in a clockwise and counter clockwise circular motion, ensuring that you don't move up and down or left to right. I will say that it removed some of the hair, but when I looked under a brighter light of lot of the hairs still remained. It also leaves a chalky kind of residue behind, because it an exfoliator of sorts. The pad is covered with super fine micro crystals which are supposed to buff away the hair on your arms. The skin on my arms did feel quite soft immediately afterwards. I tried it on my underarms, but it absolutely did not work. My underarm hair is quite course and the pad would just have left me with a rash. It really only works on very fine hair, which I really don't have. The box says you can use it on your face, but I DO NOT recommend that at all! Almost ten minutes after buffing my arms they began to burn and itch uncomfortably. It was such an icky feeling! Mind you I do have extra dry skin and it is the winter, but the after effects are so uncomfortable that I really don't want to use Smooth Away again. Well, I might try it again, when my arms are not so dry, which is rarely ever. This product would work better for those of you who have finer hair and normal or oilyish skin. Otherwise if you are like me, you will just be left irritated, with a bunch of random patches of hair on your arms, and an uncomfortable burning itching sensation afterwards... Ouch!

My quest for a better hair removal product continues...

Hugs,
G

P.S. Check out the commercial. Tee hee! Notice, there are no South Asians in it, which means it is not meant for my type of hair.




Comments

Popular Posts