Global Goddess Amla and Coconut Hair Oil Treatment


I have so much to say about hair and coconut oil, so these posts may be multi-parters. 

Nothing could incite more fear in me growing up than seeing my mom pull out a brilliant blue bottle of stinky gross Parachute brand coconut oil from India to massage into my hair. I would fight and throw a tantrum, but she insisted for shiny beautiful hair, I had to have this oil on for hours. It was a total punishment. One time, I was even mortified because I had to go to school with oil in my hair! In India, this would unremarkable. There, girls have to wear the same hairstyle to public school (I am not kidding!)-- and to go with a hair full of oil is just normal. eeeeyuck! Think of the social torture in our American society.  
Fast forward 20+ years, and I look back at my gorgeous hair from childhood, which shines brilliantly, even in those old faded photographs. I guess there was something to be said for all the coconut oil torture that I went through. 

I recently got the urge to massage my head with oil, (probably hoping to recapture those days of healthy hair before I decided that I needed to be a light brunette),  when I came across a bottle of Global Goddess Amla and Coconut Hair Oil Treatment, $45. 

Global Goddess is a line put out by Shalini Vadhera, a South Asian makeup artist-- who is bringing back the traditional beauty ritual of oiling up the hair to make it stronger, thicker and richer. Her hair oil is a blend of coconut and  Amla extract (Amla is the Gooseberry, BTW)-- which is rich in vitmain C. She also made an effort to cover up what I think is the offensive smell of coconut oil. 

Quick facts on coconut oil: Coconut oil is the only natural oil that can actually penetrate the hair follicle and improve it. It has so many healthy benefits, from being one of the only oils that can boost energy when used in it's unprocessed form to being an excellent hydrator for the skin -- ok end of quick facts-- you can start your own coconut oil appreciation society if you're so inclined. 

Anyway-- I used the Global Goddess hair oil on myself-- I used almost 1/4 of the bottle on my long hair, combed it through with a wide-toothed comb and set my hair in a turban for a couple of hours. In fact, I watched the whole Sex and the City movie (Part 2 of which they were filming all weekend on Perry Street, FYI if you are an insane SaTC fan) and a few episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm (I just found out we had HBO). Afterwards I shampooed and conditioned per usual. I think I should have rinsed and repeated, because I don't think I throughly washed out all the oil-- but it was OK for me o have slightly greasy hair today because I felt my hair was in fact softer and shinier.  

This product is a blend of so many different things, but it was nice to have a pleasant-smelling coconut oil experience. The ingredients list sunflower oil, grape seed and Neem oils, along with fragrance and other stabilizers. I find that I can tolerate the impurity because it's a tradeoff between that and the evocative smell of my everlasting repulsion to coconut hair oil. I plan to use this every time I have a whole day off (like Labor Day)-- to sit around and just pamper myself with these treatments. I am also going to try and use this as a skin moisturizer, and I'll let you know how it goes. 

All in all, I will recommend this product, especially to first-time oilers. I see a difference in my hair (and I hope it last through a couple of washings). 


Although... I may have to try a bottle of Parachute again! I just watched the most convincing commercial... more on that soon!

For now, beautiful, luxurious kisses!
S. 


Comments

  1. Dillard's Dept. Stores' CLEARANCE Center in Houston, TX has this product for 13.50 a bottle with an additional 30% off (varies with weekend, may be 40-50% next week)

    I bought 2 bottles of the 30-something bottles they had today; but now reading all the rave review, I will go back in the AM & pick up 3 more bottles.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Say Something!

Popular Posts