Divine Super Glitter Nails! (They're Art)

Hey Laaaaaaaadies! Guess what I love aside from Hello Kitty, cupcakes, puppies and boys. Crazy nail art! No, seriously, I am so down with the Japan-y fabulousness super cool kawaii sexy fun crazy cool things. My latest obsession is CalGel and Japanese Nail Art. 
I met a girly who had a super cool gradient ombre manicure, and I couldn't get over how unique, yet wonderfully clean and healthy her nails looked. She said she had had her manicure for over a month and it looked great. She told us that it was the result of a technology perfected by the Japanese called CalGel-- layer after layer of a gel is applied to your nails, then set with a UV-B light in whatever color, glittery fabulousness and with whatever art your heart desires. 

Ms. MS (my cutie pie and super stylish and totally experimental friend) and I scheduled an appointment at Sakura Nail Spa in the Lower East Side as soon as we could. When you descend into the gloriously zen and refreshing environment, you are instantly met with a friendly hello and led to your appointment. I was offered hot or cold tea, and then the treatment began. I had a lovely nail artist, who listened to all my concerns, answered all my questions and was totally patient with me while I endlessly debated between, bows, hearts, stars or HELLO KITTY!!
In the end, I went with a graded violet tip which blends into clear polish (imagine a french manicure with ombre tips) with a coat of pink glitter (it's all very subtle. Subtley awesome!)-- and then-- for the grand finale (!) I topped off my ring fingers on both hands with iridescent purple star confetti. I kid you not, the entire look is tacky wonderful. You don't need jewelry, my crazy nails are my jewels.

I loved Sakura Nail Spa. MS and I had the best time. Know that you MUST book ahead of time because it's a 4 hour service. I will tell you it's the cleanest, nicest, most affordable spot I have been to (even for regular  manicures and pedicures, which are very well-priced at $12 and $26 respectively). More and more people are warming to the idea of Japanese nail art. I am definitely emboldened by the fact that I went out and got these slightly wild nails-- so much better than my boring neutral manicures that I keep to maintain a polished (no pun intended) look in between regular visits. 

My service was a little pricey at close to $65 (the price depends on the intricacy of your designs-- and starts at $40)-- but I hope it's worth it. If you think about it, I spend about $14/every 2 weeks for a manicure that chips within days. The CalGel is supposed to last for at least 3 weeks and even more if you maintain it. Plus! The best part is you only have to go for touch ups-- which are about $20. I believe I've cut down on my overall nail-care budget, and I've totally gotten to dip into a little more funky look. I can't wait to get crazy argyle nails in October. Oooooh or Cheetah nails... or a full set of ANYTHING YOUR HEART DESIRES (I kid you not, there are thick magazines straight from Japan of all types of nail art ideas, including 3-D fruits, houndstooth patterns, crystals, script-- your imagination is the limit). 

Sakura Nail Spa in NYC has another location uptown in the Upper East Side. This is going to be such an indulgent experience. I can't wait to show off my new brassy and sassy nails all over town and the gauge reactions. My artistically inclined friends love them, and my more conservative friends think they're outrageous. I swear, it's hot. 

Kisses to Sakura and Nail Art. 
Super Kawaii Kisses!
S. 

Comments

  1. I have been hearing so much about Sakura. I love nail art but I usually just do it myself. Will have to try! Can't wait to see your mani pics! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Say Something!

Popular Posts