Switch it


Oh Kimmy K. How I have been transfixed by your ample... locks and big... eyes since I first saw you. And here, you do a wonderful Switch Up: Exchanging your normal makeup and hair uniform for a fresh, braided and exotic take. Of course, there's a lot of drama and expertise that go into her face, but this summer, I think it's going to be fun to try all kinds of super slicked-back hairstyles with 'fun eyes'. I am going to recommend a severely less dramatic version of the eyes, that anyone, and I mean ANYONE can achieve at home. 

I especially love that she did a braid here. I spent the first 8 years of my life in braids-- and I always thought the days when my mommy would only put 1 braid in my hair instead of 2, I looked cooler, older and prettier. Ah, perception. I also thought my Something About Mary Hair was so awesome circa 1991. Pea-sized dollops of gel were for wusses. I liked to go above and beyond the recommended usage and go for a full palm of gel. I kill myself. 

Fresh Summer Braid with Big Eyes.

Hair:
DO THIS: Medium and Long Haired Girls: Achieve volume in the front and at the crown by first pinning your hair 'half up' (I love this look- it's so 8th-grade *fancy*).  Then braid all your hair down.  I can't braid nicely without my mommy, so I am going to ask P or RJ to help me out with this look. 

Shorties: Stick a little pomade in it and slick it back, fresh-out-of-the-water style. I would love to see people use this new Oribe 24K D'Or Pomade. Mainly because I don't have the cha-ching and the space or the will to buy it myself. I tried it out at Bigelow and it rocked my world. It's glitter pomade, but like a sophisticated glitter because the particles are very fine. I stuck it in my waves and just kind of loved having glitter hair. Or be boring and use the regular stuff. 

Makeup:

Note:
Kim has lightened her eyebrows here, to help soften the look and offset the heaviness of her eye makeup. Seek out a professional if you want to do the same, because as a jet-black eyebrow possessor myself, Jolen Home Bleach can sometimes severely eff it all up. 

For the makeup, across the board: Do your nice and pretty fresh face. Use something matte and flawless because your face is on display. I suggest Giorgio Armani's Luminizing Silk UV 20 makeup. Prime your lids with Urban Decay Lid Primer. Use a copper or bronze-toned shadow over the lids to achieve the deep look instead of a black to be fresher and summerier. 


Whip out either a smoky kohl, or a good lasting color liner. I suggest Smashbox Wet Jet Liner and a brush. Start by drawing a thin line right above the lashes from the inner point of your top lid and extending it in a straight line beyond your eye (not a wing tip). Go back in and fill any gaps between the line and your lid. Then gently dot a line across your lower lashes, filling in all the gaps and essentially creating a soft black line on the bottom. 

Then, mascara becomes optional. I always use it, but at this point, you'll only notice the mascara from the side and not dead-on. It could be overkill. I'll never think so, but I am just saying, you can skip it. If you want the woodland creature lash drama, go for the Diorshow. 

Use a soft peach blush and don't get too crazy with the bronzer. 
Have I told you about the "E"  or "3" method to bronzing? Very simple: Get your big bronzer brush, and tap off all the excess color-- like Nars' new Irresistablement Bronzer-- it's the perfect desert glow. With a light hand, starting at the temples, make a sweeping number "3" or "E", hitting your temples, cheeks and jaw line. It's a trompe d'oeil to give your face defined  contours. Go over the apples of your cheeks with the soft peach. PS-- take it from me who has been messing up and over-doing bronzer for years: Bronzer doesn't have to be brown. 

Keep the lips neutral and beige (because the drama is in the eyes). I highly suggest a color like Fresh's Wallflower Lip Gloss-- very Kimmy K, and Turkish Delight by Nars. This new brand called Vis-a-Vis has a hot natural neutral (not beige, but a very pale mauve) called Passion and I love love love it. 

Aaaaaand you're off. 
Switch it up, I'm tired of looking at you always wearing the same boring face. 
I kid. 
 x. 
S. 


Comments

Popular Posts