Living Proof: No Frizz. Yes it Can.


My hair is a tramp. Every smoothing product that has hit the marketplace since 1993 has had a ride in my (natural) weave. From oldies like John Frieda's Frizz-EASE to BioSilk and every Kerastase to Shu Uemeura to Oribe to Chi to obscure German sulfate-free fancy-packaged product since have held a spot in my medicine cabinets. 
Some smell bad, are too heavy, fry-and-dry with a dangerous silicone/alcohol combination (I love you Bio Silk, but you KNOW YOU DO!)
Anyway- there has been a lot of buzz about Living Proof's No Frizz Styling Cream for Thick and Coarse Hair $14-24. Let's start off with their PR angle-- conceived and engineered in prestigious MIT labs. Their packaging is excellent-- a foggy taupe and white bottle with the word "frizz" with a line through it-- the voluptuous bottle is treated  with that rubbery finish, a beautiful addition to your countertop if your cabinets are jam-packed with one too many disappointing products. 
And now to the important bit... The way it actually works. I mean, it WORKS. I use a quarter-sized dollop of the silicone-free product and distribute it in my hair . The smell is light and excellent-- like a white tea with a hint of lemongrass. Blow dry, and the result is manageable and beautiful hair. It doesn't make your hair stick straight, but instead helps smooth and straighten it out to a beautiful, natural-looking healthy state. 
The humidity-combatting claim can easily be tested because I live in a perpetual State of Rain. We all took a vote and gave up our summer to gray clouds, it seems. Anyway-- I took my weave for a spin in the damp-- so let me share my findings: not 100% humidity-proof because my hair still started to fritz a little in the damp weather-- however-- on the side of No Frizz, I didn't have curling of my hair-- just a fritzing of my ponytail. A fritz is less than a frizz. 
They have launched a shampoo, a line for curls and of course their smoothing cream, which is what I tried. I really will heartily recommend this product to anyone who asks about keeping my hair manageable. I hope to try their shampoos soon because I really believe the people behind this product have the best interest of the consumer in their minds when developing this product. 
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly of it all:
The Good: Great styling serum, light, non-greasy, doesn't weigh your hair down on the second day, fights the frizz (I would give it an A- in frizz-fighting). Great smell, great bottle, for use on damaged and color-treated hair. 
The Bad: Still contains a teensy bit of alcohol, but so far, has been good to my hair. 
The Ugly: Ain't none, so go out and get some, son!

Fritz and Frizz-Free Kisses!
S. 

Comments

Popular Posts