Indian Inspiration



An Oriental perfume bottle.

I love India-- and if you've ever heard any one speak of their visit the first thing they will talk about it the SMELL! It's something that is so unique to over-populated and hot countries. Just as intense as the drive from the airport in Bombay can be passing over the Mahim Creek, so too are the purity of the flora there. Roses smell like roses, night jasmine and tube rose abound. And can we talk about the lovely spices? 
The Spring may not be the ideal time to go into the perfume archives and pick up an oriental scent like Boucheron's Jaipur, Kenzo's Holi or Guerlain's Shalimar-- just to name a few. But just a few weeks ago, Christian Dior added another log to the fire of all things India by  launching a new scent called Escale a Pondicherry. Pondicherry is the ex-French colony located in the state of Kerala where many foreigners still live and visit. 

The scent is marked with notes of jasmine, black tea and sandalwood. Should be interesting! Personally, I like the press release description, " The perfumer has selected a black tea enwrapped in a fresh and light signature that harmonizes with a spirit of happy insouciance." Insouciance! I love it! They couldn't say something as pedestrian as "carefree!"

I also love that they launched it a hotel called "Dune". My aunt used to wear Dune when I was a kid, it typifies the 80s for me. 

I hope India is more than a trend and really cements itself as a land of beauty and sultry intrigue. The perfumes Jaipur and Shalimar are still best-sellers all over the world, so I have high hopes that Escale a Pondicherry is going to be just the first in a series of inspired scents from a land that I love. It's funny though, all these scents are classified as "oriental"-- and I think it's because they all have some sandalwood or cardamom in them. India has some of the most fragrant flowers as well-- so I hope there is an exploration of florals in the future. Feel free to name it after me! Eau de S. Love!  

Insouciant Kisses!
S. 

Comments

Popular Posts