Cover Girl Outlast Lip Stain


Do you remember Mr. Sketch Scented Markers? I had a pack of 8 (I get a thrill just thinking of them) and they came in a range of scents from licorice to cherry. I would always take the cherry one (and they all smelled SO GOOD!) and put it on like lipstick. Have I told you about my lifelong obsession with makeup? It started early! 
Anyway, recently I bought the equivalent of a Mr. Sketch scented marker which came disguised as a Cover Girl outlast Lip Stain in Wild Berry Wink, about $9. -- which is not exactly berry and much more orange-red than it looks or sounds. For once, the lip stain tastes like it sounds! (maybe a little more cherry, just like a Mr. Sketch Marker!)

You basically put on this marker and it soaks into your lips and dries red. It's a pretty cool concept, because I don't like lipsticks. I try and I try, but I don't like the feel of all that pigment just hanging out on my lips. I much prefer glosses, and the idea of a marker tint rocks my world. 

The cool thing about this tint is that if you learn the window of spreadability of this product, you can actually get a 'bitten lip' look that lasts well into the day. I put on a quick stroke and then spread it out by pressing my lips together as quickly as possible. Doing this gave me a cherry (not my color!!) mouth-- and I think if I can find the right color, this could be a super essential product. 

However, there are some drawbacks, the first being the drying effects. I put this color on about 3 other people, and the formula is well pigmented, and (if you can overlook the weird orange-red shade) looks wonderful. It really highlighted the lips and soaked right into the skin.  Because it is part of the ColorStay line, it is a very dry formulation. I felt all our lips needed some conditioning after about an hour. I understand that a long-lasting 'stain' is not necessarily conducive to having shine (which would make it wear off)-- but I don't like HOW dry people looked. I am always swiping on some lip thing myself, but I watched P battle with her dry lips. (BTW she said the color made her look like the Joker. I agree!)

For under $10, it's kind of an interesting on-the-go lip concept. 
Other than the fact that I bought a misleading color (this is why I hate drugstore makeup!), I really like the concept of this lip tint. 

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly:
The Good: If you can find a good color, it's a nice stay-put lip marker. Good for kissing! 
The Bad: A dry formulation. The package color is misleading. 
The Ugly: If your lips are chapped, don't put this on! It will stick to your chapped and dead skin and just get leathery.

S's Recommendation: If you have some spare cash, soft lips and don't mind taking a risk and guessing at a color-- this is cool concept! Especially if you don't like the feel of lipstick. It won't come off -- which can also mean that you really need to scrub to take it off. I can't overstate how much this is like a round-tipped Mr. Sketch marker. If they made it a little more conditioning, I would be the biggest champion of this lip stain. 

Very Cherry kisses!
S. 


Comments

Popular Posts