Christian Dior Diorskin Eclat Satin Foundation


Foundation. What a matriarchal concept. Usually associated with mother, grand and great grands. I imagine a thick, mask-like finish also found on boriquas from coast to coast. 

I decided to try foundation again because I was convinced there is something on the market that has been created to give a luminous skin look-- much more modern than what I remember my thick and oily-skinned 4th grade teacher Mrs. Campbell wearing.

 I made my way over to Christian Dior, enticed by their new "Nudes" collection. 

I tried on a couple of different foundations-- the first being too drying, then (my favorite one) was too expensive. Finally, I settled on the one called Christian Dior Diorskin Eclat Satin foundation in #200 (light beige), $45. #200 Light Beige is a very light and rosy tone-- it works for me because I am a pink face-- but Diorskin really might be for the olds. It is very "rosy" and smells like an old lady. 

I know I casually threw that in there, but this is the most perfumed foundation I have ever used. No one really comes up close and nuzzles me (sad!) but I can imagine I smell like some boy's mother-- it's such a weird old school and  overwhelming scent. Why would they do that? I don't mind a little rosiness, but this is like some powdery Avon talc and an old bottle of Rue Faubourg 24 had an illegitimate affair, and then dumped the evidence of their forbidden love in a vat of Diorskin foundation. It stinks.  

The wear: It's ok. This foundation softens up the look of my skin, and allows the natural epidermis shine through. It evens me out pretty well. I put on just a little less than one pump, and spread it around with my fingers (sidenote: people can use a concealer brush or a latex wedge-- I just happen to be allergic to latex). Applied after a sunscreen/moisturizer, it leaves a glowy finish, definitely a moisturizing touch. I set it by dusting my face with  Fresh pressed powder, which just absorbs the excess wetness without the mask feeling I have been looking to avoid. 

After about 2-3 hours, this foundation gets a little greasy looking on my skin and needs to be touched up. I've worn it 3 times, and frankly, I like the way it starts off, but I am not too jazzed about the way it 'settles'. I am not a big fan of always touching my face up, because I like the dewey look and don't worry about constantly matting. However, my skin feels so waxy and gleaming after a few hours that I am forced to pull out a compact. 

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly:
The Good: Softens out the complexion. Lets the 'skin' shine through and doesn't look like you have a face full of makeup. Keeps a dewey look, takes very well to being dusted off by a little powder. Very little goes a long way. 
The Bad: Needs to be tended to and touched up. Not a lot of color choices for Indian women-- better suited to rosy-toned ladies. 
The Ugly: Smells like your grandma's old lady smell. Overwhelmingly perfumed, and not in a good way! 

Overall 2 out of 5 stars. I am keeping it and using it until it's finished, but I don't think I would buy it again. 

S's Recommendation: Buy it if you are very dry-skinned, rose-toned and are indifferent to smell. It will give you a soft, dewey finish and you may find success with this product. 

Waxy complexioned kisses!
S. 

Comments

Popular Posts