Make Up Forever Smoky Lash Mascara. Friend or Foe?


Observations about mascara elongatus generra black*.
*a totally made up nomenclature but written in an attempt to sound somewhat scientific.

Saturday, 12:35 pm 7th of March 2009
Excitement! Just got a tube of Make Up Forever Smoky Lash Mascara, $22. Have heard so many positive things about Make Up Forever, cannot wait to apply.

Saturday, 1:15 pm 7th of March 2009
Severe disappointment, mascara is not made for me. Have developed some sort of spidery mass on lids. No way to correct this, even safety pin separation of lashes (which, frankly should not have to be done with a good mascara) is causing flecks of black to accumulate on face.


All right you got me, I am not a scientist and I don't even know what a scientist's observational notebook would look like. But the point I am trying to make here is that this mascara is NOT for me.
I have very long, very sparse lashes. My preferred look is to have a LUSH frame of lashes on my eyes, that look like they are fake, but natural-ish. Does that make sense? I want my eyelashes to look like I stuck extra lashes on, but not as if they have been flocked like a 'white' Christmas tree in black mascara. When someone wears false lashes, you notice they don't look coated. I just want to look like a woodland creature who has deliciously and somewhat naturally thick POW WOW lashes.
This mascara made my long lashes look EXTRA long, but coated with gunk and very individually hairy (like the legs of a nasty spider. I have goose chills just thinking about it). They looked like barbed extensions on my eyes. The effect was very rough cils, and it looked like I just didn't know how to apply makeup.
Let's start with the brush (picture above). The brush itself looks like a mess, like someone smooshed and gooshed it and then stuck it back in the tube. It looks a fright! And the thing is, this brush is pretty much an accurate representation of what my lashes looked like once I applied this mascara.

I do want to make one hypothetical hypothesis (heh heh). I think this mascara would work very well for you short-lashed ladies. I can imagine the barbed coating you get from this stuff would add that 'lush' look without the spidery effect if your lashes are considerably short. A lot of my Asian persuasion friends have shorter, thicker lashes. This mascara might be the length and volume you need. Buy it from Sephora, so if you need to return, you can. The mascara came off well, but did 'fleck' quite a bit.

Long-lashed lasses: Stay Away.
I don't know why they call this thing Smoky Lash mascara. It was really not 'smoky' or smoldering. I would call it Pointy Lash Mascara. Very pointy.
Conclusion: Change the name to Pointy Lash and be honest in marketing it.
Back to DiorShow kisses!
S.

Comments

Popular Posts