Cetaphil. Cetaphil, CETAPHIL!


Delivering results!

In 2003, after a horrid experience with a laser and terrible breakouts, I went to a dermatologist. Some of the things she imparted on me have stuck with me all these years, such as, "don't use fancy Chanel face wash, use CETAPHIL." I am so glad I listened to her!

Cetaphil is the most widely recommended product by dermatologists as a face wash. My own experiences with it have been positive. It's an effective soap-free cleanser from your local drugstore which you can use day and night. It helps in removing makeup (but not the stubborn eye stuff), but it won't strip your skin like a lot of soap-based cleansers will. It's not too expensive and it works better than a lot of these 'cosmeceuticals' you can pick up at the department stores. It's not natural, but it's specially formulated to be gentle on your skin. In fact, it's also the #1 product recommended for people who suffer from eczema. 

I had terrible acne, and I used to use a whole range of products filled with things like salicylic acid and other things which were meant to help 'heal' me. My derm (who trained with Dr. Rodan -- one of the women behind ProActiv) took one look at my skin and told me she knew I was using a product with salicylic acid in it and to stop it immediately. It was only drying out my skin, and sensitive skin needs some of its natural oils to help stop the overactivity of the sebaceous glands under the skin. (When we strip away too much of our 'oils', the sebaceous glands feel they need to produce more to counteract the dryness and hence the cycle of oily skin and acne). 

Ever since I began using Cetaphil (and wearing a daily sunscreen and moisturizer), my skin has calmed down. I still break out, especially as the seasons change (I am just genetically predestined to have difficult skin)--- but I find my skin care routine is the most manageable and simplified when I wash with Cetaphil, use a moisturizer and -- ta daaaa!-- I am out the door (or at least prepped for my makeup application). 

I have always preferred the clear formula of the  Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser for Normal to Oily Skin, $11.99 over the regular milky white Cetaphil for all skin types. This is just a personal preference, because I feel this cleanser suits my skin better. I think both are excellent and effective cleansers. And affordable!  There is a difference between the 2 products: The one I use foams a little more, and has a different set of ingredients. But I have used both, and they are both effective and excellent. Also I buy the type which is a liquid and comes in a pump instead of the bar soap, just because I feel bar soaps are unhygienic. 

I love nice packaging when it comes to lip glosses and eyeshadows, but for some reason, I am totally OK with clinical, plain and boring packaging for skin things. Cetaphil may not beautify your bathroom counter like a tall bottle of tangerine-colored Chanel cleanser would, but it's affordable, and most importantly, it works better than something in a fancy package. 

The Good: Affordable. It works! Smells nice. Good for your skin. 
The Bad: Ugly package (but I don't care!)
The Ugly: Ain't none, son, so go out and some. Ya heard?  

J'adore! 
Kisses, 
S.

Comments

  1. I use fancypants Shiseido and Lancome and have to say, sometimes it's good to get back to the basics... Aveda has a good line of skincare too, I love love love their combo SPF and moisturizer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aiyee-- I meant to write AVEENO- for the SPF+moisturizer combo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love good drugstore basics and classics and I wanted to love this, but it just didn't work. I wear mineral powder as foundation and this didn't take it off. So I washed again.

    Then, just to test it, I put some really strong astringent (with alcohol) on a cotton pad and went over my face. It came away filthy.

    I am willing to use an oily remover to get heavy eye makeup off, but not all over my face.

    Right now I love this weirdly futuristic Olay Regenerist cleanser that comes in mousse form. I bought it while drunkenly drugstore shopping for the Rhianna mascasra I commented about above. It turned out to be a great gentle, calming cleanser that takes off all my makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the Olay Regenerist line a lot. I have had success with Cetaphil but the clear one for oily skin. I definitely still need to use something when I am taking off eye makeup. I am sad this didn't work for you. Maybe I should be putting an astringent on too to check my own personal filth factor. heh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so so so happy I read this post. I have been having some major issues with my skin lately (adult acne, oily skin, patchy eczema (eww!!)) and I figured I'd give this a whirl. It leaves my skin looking fresh, even toned and its really improved the acne and the eczema is not getting irritated!! Thank you muchas!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Say Something!

Popular Posts