Scalding hot showers lead to drier skin


I was a competitive swimmer from age the age of 5 till I was 17. In most of my pictures during this time period, my hair was this icky shade of brown. The chlorine seriously damaged my hair and skin, and every year I would have to get a serious hair cut to get rid of all the damage.

So, I would get out of swim practice around 7PM, and the most wonderful thing to do afterwards, was take a long HOT shower. I remember there was this girl on my team, that would turn the heat up so high that here skin would turn bright red. So we were all around 9 years old... you know the time in your life when everyone is tattling on everyone! We would run to the ladies room attendant and frantically tell the woman how bright red this girls skin was, while the girl happily continued showering. The ladies room attendant gave all of us 9 year olds a great piece of advice. Why didn't I just listen to her!!! She said that we were all destroying our already Chlorine ravaged skin by taking such long hot showers. She was right!!!

So, if you live in New York, you know it is starting to get cold! The first thing you want to do after a hard day of work is take a long hot shower. Don't do it! I mean, take a shower, but not a scalding hot one. If your skin is as dry as mine during the fall / winter, the hot water will make it even worse. You know what I am talking about... your hands become so dry they feel like a dish sponge... your face feels so dry that it might crack... your feet look like prunes... what are you doing!!! Stop it now! Take a luke warm shower. Your skin will thank you! The hot water breaks down your skins natural defenses, making it even more rough and dry!

After getting out of the shower pat your skin lightly with a towel and immediately apply your moisturizer. On especially dry days I like to apply Vaseline Gel Body Oil. Sometimes I like to mix it with a moisturizer like the Aveeno Advanced Care Moisturizin Cream. Your skin will feel so soft and moisturized!

Be easy on your skin the upcoming months. It's begging for relief!

xo
G




Comments

Popular Posts