Luxury Hair Care: Oribe Shampoos and Conditioners


Grunge was a sad day for all of us. We made the best of it... but I prayed every night as I kneeled by my bed, 'God, please let it be over'.

I was reading up on the man behind my new favorite shampoo, and in an article in the New York Times Styles section from 2005, I came across that quote by an associate of Oribe (pronounced OR-bay)-- the man whose conditioner I laud on the highest and who is also famously Jennifer Lopez's* stylist. 

Anyway so let me tell you about my hair, which I haven't spoken about almost ever in these archives. My hair, at one time was a bountiful, shiny mass of deep teak. Then, not unlike Miss Lopez, I decided to become a blonde. Because that works out so well for Indian people. Anyway. Now I was blonde and living in LA where the water out of the taps smells like a chlorinated mineral-ated nastiness with traces of valium, aderall and percocet (um yeah, it's been scientifically proven, bitches.) The toll hard water takes on color-treated hair is the equivalent of going swimming every day. In fact, in the whole time I lived in LA, I don't think I even had one single good hair day, even when I went to the salon and had it done professionally! (They had the same hard water problems). Ok so I almost kind of sort of gave up on my hair because it had turned into hay. HAY like for horses. 

Then I moved to NY, where the water is less bad (but not good) and I started to ponder the possibilities that I could once again have decent hair. I dyed it all dark and started investing in good hair products and shampoos. I went through the Kerastase line, Shu Uemeura (OVERPRICED for what it's worth!!!),  Rene Futurer, Klorane-- all of which made imperceptible improvements in my  hair (oh and PS- KLORANE is the WORST most awful shampoo I have ever tried. And it's French. Who would have thunk it?)

Finally, about a month ago, poor as ever but in need of a conditioner, I went to C.O. Bigelow and asked them again for a hair product recommendation. The girl there suggested the new line from Oribe-- $39 for a conditioner and $39 for shampoo (which, BTW is a jacked up price because you can buy it for $34 on the Oribe website). I chose just one because I needed something SO badly. I thought it would be another bust, but she assured me I could return it if I didn't like it. I went home, and I finally have a conditioner (and by extension, a shampoo, most probably) that I love! 

So my hair, which is mostly like hay, is totally softened up without being weighed down. I use the color-treated hair shampoo, and it's really nice. Not too greasy, but with enough conditioners to make me feel like my hair is actually improving. The Oribe line is for people who don't have good hair to begin with, and it helps in getting that serious, glamorous, soft, luxurious, mink-y hair. Now, I am only using the conditioner at the moment, paired with some drugstore Biolage crap that I need to finish (remember, I don't believe in buying too many products. Bad for the pocket book, the environment.) Anyway I just love love love the Oribe shampoo, and trust me, I've tried everything to help my hair get back to a soft and lovely state. 

I can't wait to go and buy the shampoo and try out other products from this line. It's seriously ultra premium. Even the bottle is like super fancy. I wish they didn't make it so 'nice' so I could just pay a little less for the product, but alas, I guess it's all part of the glamour experience. In fact, his bottle is exactly how I would like my very expensive hair care to appear. If I had a more glamorous flossy flossy kind of life. It's embossed with his logo (photo above- but I can't find a good product shot anywhere). 

 I included that quote, because it made me laugh so hard. Oribe was famous in the late 80s and early 90s when everything fashion, hair and makeup was over the top. Apparently he was addled with drug problems and didn't change with the times (i.e. he didn't adapt to the grunge look). I think he's all sorted out now, but he believes in serious serious glamour (which is my philosophy, too!) and I sort of love him and I definitely love his products. I totally imagined him having this far out Latin-esque accent but it turns out he's from like North Carolina or something. Disappointing. 

Ok so in short- the Oribe line is:
Expensive but worth it.  Especially if you have coarse, rough, dry hair like mine which is the result of years of coloring and damage. I should have listened to my mother and never started dyeing my hair... but now that it is what it is, I have to pay the price to make it look somewhat decent. 

Oh and I am sorry I haven't tried out the shampoo yet, but I will update when I get some. 

Anyway love Oribe!
Kisses,
S. 


* Now I know it's terribly gauche to reference Miss Lopez as my style icon, but I just love her and you must deal with that, GlossBoxers. She's like 42 years old, has a career, twins, a clothing line, CDs, movies (rom coms!), a body, a face--- and really questionable talent. How can you not admire that?? Plus she gets men to get her diamonds-- there's a famous pink diamond engagement ring it seems we've all forgotten about. I want a massive pink diamond. How special!

PS Hipster is the 'old/new' grunge. Why are people against hair-washing. Maybe I am just tainted by some really dirty hipsters. But they love their patchouli. Still! Just like theater people and grunge people before them, certain hipsters have a way of sucking the glamour out of a room. I guess it's not all hipsters, just certain ones who have made me perceive them to be dirty. 






Comments

  1. I recently picked up this Oribe line as well, but at the bluemercury store on the upper west side. I didn't know of him before but I do now!

    The products are fantastic. I love, love, love the scent. My bf balks at me spending so much on the shampoo and conditioner, but I think he secretly uses it too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes i totally forgot to mention the smell. When I bought this thing, I had a cold, so it was a pleasant surprise to find out when I got better than this product smells nice too. It's a very 'oriental' scent akin to Givenchy's Amirage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried the shampoo/conditioner for beautiful hair. The shampoo was a little harsh on my hair but the conditioner is fabulous!!!! My hair hasn't looked this shiny in years! I also tried the styling cream and gel. They were great as well but the smell was awful. Reminded me of something my little old grandmother used to use in her hair...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used the Oribe dry texturizing spray today and it's FABULOUS! Not only does it give volume to my flat hair, it smells wonderful. I was at the checkout line at the grocery store and the clerk asked me what perfume I was wearing LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Say Something!

Popular Posts