De-Hair Yourself. Or Else.



Hi Bunnies,
Just FYI, that is really me, S. circa 1994. I swear, it wasn't last week. Maybe if you click here and check out my profile pic, you can see why I am so obsessed with el productos. And waxing! The stache is so real. It was even worse in real life. Anyway, waxing and lasers saved my life.

For those of you that know me, I just thought it would be a great laugh break to see my in all my pubescent glory. For those of you that don't, maybe it gives this blog a little legitimacy (because I should hope I am unrecognizable today from that Man Man photo).

I firmly believe in waxing of the arms as well. I don't have a photo of my arms, but gauge it based on that mustache. THICK. Years of waxing have really softened up my hair and I feel it is a lovely and feminine thing to rid yourself of arm hair. I convert people, and they can't stop thanking me. A friend of mine who knows who she is was formerly known as Los Lobos and quickly lost that nickname once she learned to strip that hair off those arms. It's not a common beauty custom in the States, but in India-- All the Gods forbid you pass into your teens and keep hairy arms.

We all know about the bikini situation, so I won't even go there...

And a set of groomed brows will take you places!
I cannot emphasize the power of magnificent eyebrows. Remember, there should be 2. Spend on getting your brows done-- at least the first time and then follow the lines set about by a true master. I have a couple of favorite eyebrow places and eyebrow ladies who I highly recommend. If threading works for you, that's great-- just don't let the threading ladies in Los Angeles screw up your brows like they did mine in November of 2006 (and it took me until February of 2007 to get them healthy and kicking again) ZIBA Salon is evil with poorly trained eyebrow ladies. Ask my old roomie JC, she'll tell you the horrors I went through. The HORRORS.

So I've converted to waxing.

My favorite eyebrow place in Los Angeles is Billion Dollar Brows on Charleville and South Beverly Drive. Megan and her sister Amanda are like these brilliant symmetrically gifted geniuses who know how to do brows. I can't rave about them enough. In fact, whenever I visit LA I always schedule an appointment with them, either one is great. The salon itself is small and clean and just fantastic. (But only Megan and Amanda-- shh. don't tell the others I told you that).
Oh, and luckily, it doesn't cost a billion dollars to get your brow on there. Love them!

In New York, I am a fan of Malynda and Deja at Boom Boom Beauty Bar on 13th and 7th Ave. Deja is formerly of Damone Roberts Salon in the BH (Beverly Hills, mama!)-- anyway Deja knows her way around a set of eyebrows. Both ladies know about good, clean, healthy and natural brow shapes. I love Malynda, she is so funny. I mean, seriously, it's like a really cool version of Fran Drescher come to life. And her little yorkie terrier is named Sweet Baby Jesus! How can you not immediately love a woman who does that.

Now, as for the threaders -- I went to Shoba Beauty Salon in SoHo here in NYC-- and let me tell you-- of my 3 visits, I was seriously underwhelmed. My problem with most threaders is that they are usually natives of India (as am I). BUT! They believe in very round shapes and I sometimes feel they cannot eek out my arch. But hey! If it's working for you, and you like threading, by all means, continue going there. My experience may be isolated.

I so much enjoy de-hairing myself (and the people around me appreciate it too!). Now if only i could find a good recommendation as to where I can get the inside of my nose waxed...

On that note-
Smooth Kisses!
S.

Comments

  1. what about the adage that G subscribes to (I think) where she says that the waxing pulls skin? please advise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think G is right in that aspect, but I think the frequency rate at which is it done (waxing) will determine the ill effects on your face. A lot of times, threading breaks the hair shaft at the epidermal level, and especially in the upper lip portion, can often leave a hair shadow. Waxing the arms is ok, but it's true, the face is pulled by waxing. Hopefully the pulling it relegated to being monthly or even bi monthly. GOOOOOOO Lasers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a few recommendations for who does the best eyebrows in SF Bay Area?

    I have been to every Rita, Sunita, Sonia out there from Sunnyvale to Fremont to SF and have never been satisfied. No matter how many times or how many ways you tell them not to thin out your brows, they always do it.

    Would love a few suggestions, or ideas on how to get them to give you the results you want.

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Looking,

    I abandoned threading after I left the Bay Area because I would always get these Ronald McDonald eyebrows out of most of the Pinkys and Sunitas.

    One way to get the right shape is to do a little work yourself. If you take a concealer pencil or a white eyeliner (get the Wet and Wild ones for like $1)-- then go over the hair you would like removed with that pencil and explain to the threader that that is the shape you want-- they should be able to follow the 'map' you've created.

    If you happen to ever be in Fremont, CA (don't ask me how I know this ;)) there is one threader who I highly recommend. She's young and she LISTENS. Her name is Himani and she is at this salon which is across from the Naz Cinema in the Raley's shopping center (the onle close to the BART station). You must only go to her. If there's a wait for her, wait.

    Also if you aren't artistic with shape, ask the threader to show you where she is going to thread with the same white pencil. It'll save you the heartache of miscommunication.

    And Looking, I don't know if you ever travel down South to LA, but I highly recommend Billion Dollar Brows in Beverly Hills. If you happen to be in the area, I would set up an appointment with Megan or Amanda-- and they will create the 'template' as it were for all your follow-ups with Ritas, Sunitas and Sonias in your home base. To grow in patches that Rita, Sunita and Sonia have ripped out, Billion Dollar Brows also makes this gel which helps to regrow your eyebrow hair. It works because I bought it for an old co-worker of mine, and she was blonde with very fair eyebrows-- and eventually, after about 3 weeks, her eyebrows did start sprouting again. You can buy the gel online.

    Hope that helps and please follow up with us to let us know how it goes.

    Kisses!
    S.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Say Something!

Popular Posts