From the MailBag


Well, the metaphorical mailbag at least.

I get asked all the time how I can afford to have so many beauty products. It's really a little funny, because I don't ask people how they can afford to do anything. It's not any of my nevermind. What if they were prostitutes on the side and put all their ill begotten money into a special fund just for beauty products. Would one be prepared with the adequate reaction at such a revelation?


That is not my particular instance so since it's been asked, I have to tell.

I have said it once and I'll say it again. I ain't too shy to ask for samples when I go on beauty reconnaissance missions for TGB.

I usually know 1 or 2 people at every major department store (having purchased from them before) and they willingly offer up samples, especially of new products and when I explain what I do. High-end stores are more loaded up with samples than your average Macy's (the ones in major cities usually have a better sample-stock)-- so don't get down on the poor cosmetics' counter girls if they say they don't have a sample of that product. They aren't lying! Sephora will usually make you a sample of a product or fragrance if they aren't too busy. Blue Mercury is another store which I like, but they usually only have samples of the latest and the greatest in-store items-- not everything.

I also like to wait to make my purchases of things I need on a daily basis (read my post about my daily routine here)-- like mascaras, eyeliners, sunscreen etc. -- I wait until there is a gift with purchase or a beauty event at stores like Neiman Marcus, Saks and Nordstrom. Even if you don't live near one of those stores, if there's a staple in your beauty wardrobe that you know you buy 3-4 times a year, wait for one of these events and buy it online. You usually get a whole bag full of deluxe samples and a cute case, too! These are not the individual brand promotions, where you buy one Estee Lauder eyeshadow and get a bag 'o crap with their hideous lipsticks that wouldn't even look good on your mother 20 years ago. These are the store-wide promotions to which I am referring. Sign up or keep reading TheGlossBox to find out about these events!

Another option to be able to try out new and different products is to speak with the consultants at the boutiqes of various brands. MAC, Lancome, Kiehl's, Aveda, Clarins, Fresh, Clinique, Bare Esentuals, Jo Malone, Bond No. 9, Penhaligons, L'Artisan Parfumeur (just a bunch I've visited in the last few months)-- all of them have free-standing stores or kiosks where you can speak to brand reps and ask to sample the products in which you are interested. Don't be greedy, because it's up to their discretion whether or not they oblige you with a sample.

I happen to be a savvy consumer, so I ask lots of questions. I am also WARY because I have spent unecessary dinero on things that I ended up hating. That is what THE GLOSS BOX is for-- to warn you against stuff that stinks, and guide you toward things that we find work well. Always always ask for a sample if possible. If you are uncertain about a product, think you want it, but haven't tried it yet, buy it from Sephora or Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom's etc-- places where they take back opened product (please don't abuse the return policy, though!). I just bought an awful mascara from C.O. Bigelow and I MADE SURE that they would take it back if I didn't like it. If you think the person is trying to make the sale and isn't going to follow up, take the gurantee in writing. Protect yourself.

Happy Shopping,
Kisses!
S.

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for your post, S!

    BTW, love the evil eye at the bottom of the blog. Nice touch.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Say Something!

Popular Posts