It Should be Called Oil of EW-lay


Yeah that was a bad play on words.

Anyway- before TGB existed, people would always ask for recommendations on products from me. I had my routine down, I knew what worked for me and that was that. But I've told you about all my faves and we have to keep bringing new things into the mix so y'all can know what's up with all the products on the shelves. 

So in the quest to road test what's out there, I change it up-- and sometimes I find awful products. The part that really sucks is when I mention that I write reviews on makeup and people see me with -- oh I don't know-- flaking nasty skin because of some crappy Oil of Olay product-- and they think that I am out of my mind for thinking I know what works. I swear, I am road testing and sometimes, some things SUCK! I will return to my tried and true products and hopefully the nastiness will go away and then you will trust me again. One day. Until then, let me bad mouth a product. 

Now, I have told you how much I love Oil of Olay Definity (see my review under face), despite the foaming action (it comes out like a mousse). But do you guys know what happens when that little mousse dispensing mechanism breaks? You have to trash half the product because there is no way to get into that can. 

I went to the store and I decided to try another, non-foaming moisturizer from Oil of Olay, having had such success with the Definity line. I saw the Total Effects ($19) line, a fragrance-free daily moisturizer that come out of a more traditional pump. It supposedly fights 7 effects of aging leaving you with... garbage skin. Now, I know the temperatures have changed, and skin changes seasonally, but this product is awful. 

The fragrance-free formula smells like some clinical sanitation product. My skin looks like burst bubble wrap. Ew that visual was so gross it made my stomach flip flop-- but it really is so nasty and gross to look at how dry my skin is. Even with exfoliation, nighttime and daytime moisturizing and increasing my water intake (which is admittedly paltry- mea culpa) -- my skin is DRY hours after I put on my makeup and it's flaking off. 

I can't even tell you what a waste of cash this product was. I am so mad that I have to go out and buy a new moisturizer. Again! I usually will finish a product if I buy it (out of some sort of masochistic frugality) -- but this one is so low on my tolerance totem pole that I am going to say adieu and warn y'all against it if you have skin like me (combo, dry in parts-- especially in the winter- prone to breakouts). 

Let me know if you've tried this and if it works for you. I shouldn't bad mouth OIl of Olay since I like most of their other products that I have tried. Caveat Emptor. 

Sad- and -mad, -feeling- bad- about- the -skin -that -I -don't- have -Kisses.
S. 

Comments

Popular Posts