Luxury Gifts: I Love Candles




J'adore candles. Just love them, especially the good kinds. I give them out as gifts, because they are something I like to receive, and I like the idea of living in a wonderfully scented world filled with Jo Malone, Bond No. 9 and Fresh Candles. 

I am only going to write about the ultra-primo candles that come from fragrance and cosmetics companies-- because they are infinitely more chic than the ones that come from-- oh I don't know let me just pull up a name at random-- Yankee Candle Company (yes ok, I hate those candles, but hey! that's just me!)

Some people think candles are impersonal, but for me, scents mean so much. They remind me of a time and place and specifically etch themselves into my memory. For me, it's a transcendental experience to enter a wonderfully scented room-- and if the memory is good it will live with me forever. 

Here are some candle tips. 

If you know someone loves a particular scent of perfume, chances are they will like the candle as well. The holidays mean lots of gift sets and incentivized purchases so keep an eye out. 

Candles do come in varying degrees of quality! A bad candle can ruin everything.  Don't present someone with an El Cheapo Candle. How will you know? Chances are it will be under $20 (and the Votivo candles, which are just about there are NICE-- don't get me wrong). 

My personal favorite candles come from Bond No.9 and Jo Malone. I find their scents are pitch perfect-- not too overwhelming, but still gently fill the room.  They are a pricey gift, but make wonderful additions to the home even when they are not lit. 

Bond No. 9 comes in beautiful jars reminiscent of the beautiful bottles of perfume. Each namesake scent burns for 50-65 hours and makes the place smell heavenly! The lid of the candle is heavy and emblazoned with the Bond No.9 logo. I am simply mad about these candles, even though they run about $85. Oops. 

Jo Malone Candles ($65) are a lot more decor-friendly. Almost each one comes in the plain off-white color and clear glass jar that is particular to the Jo Malone line. As any one witnessed my bathroom and parts of my house from 2006-2007 I was simply OBSESSED with all things Jo Malone, and the candles were always lit when we were having guests over. As JC my old housemate would surely agree, they are a wonderful and warm addition to a beautiful home atmosphere. I love almost all the scents, but the Pine and Eucalyptus Home Candle is an especially lovely gender-neutral scent. Buy if for your boyfriend's gross house. I'm generalizing, I know. 

Fresh also does a wonderful candle in Sugar Lychee ($48)-- my only criticism is that when you get more than 1 going in a room, you can taste the smell. It still makes me happy to smell this candle, because it brightens a room with the scent-- which is not overwhelmingly anything but fresh! The sugar lychee scent even has warm mango undertones-- and the jar is lovely, with a very feminine iron vine pattern on it. 

I still think candles, for those who appreciate life's little luxuries are a lovely gift, and I'll keep looking out for other lovely luxurious gift ideas as the holidays approach. 

Warm and lovely kisses!

Comments

  1. S, thanks for this post! You are right candles are such a great gift to give for the holidays, housewarming, or just because! I still love my Tocca one. :) I was looking for some good recommendations to take to my bf's home for thanksgiving - great picks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Say Something!

Popular Posts