Good Gloss Girls Go Green


Recycling is not just trendy, it's good for all of us. Recycle your old makeup containers wherever you see the signs, and whenever you can.

I was just at Saks Fifth Avenue in San Francisco on Tuesday, and they had little signs up at several of the counters telling people to ask them about recycling old makeup containers. I was carrying the lovely and wonderful and amazing Miss Butters (my former poochy-poo lovebug doggie who I am hosting this week)-- so I wasn't able to chat with the ladies about this program. But check it out next time you are at your local Saks.

MAC has a great recycling program at their boutiques called "Back to Mac" where you can return your old product containers (after finishing them, I suppose!)-- and you get a free lipstick when you return 6 containers! How wonderful of MAC, I love this type of incentive program.

I hate throwing away old perfume bottles, because they are so beautiful, but I don't want to keep around empty bottles as clutter. Well guess what! You can recycle your old perfume bottles at Bond No. 9 (one of my faves!) -- any perfume bottle will be accepted by the artisinal perfumerier at their boutiques, and at their in-store counters at Saks (go Saks!). All the Bond No. 9 bottles will apparently be refurbished and refilled and marked letting people know they are recycled. None of the materials are sent to landfills. AND, the best part is you apparently get a little refillable atomizer with a purchase at Bond No.9 as a thank you gift if you do recycle a bottle. Love that!

From time to time, other companies host limited-time recycling incentive programs (there was one by Kiehl's a couple of years back that I know about, and some by lesser known brands like Ecco Bella). Even if you aren't physically receiving something at the moment for recycling, try to ask around at the boutiques if they accept containers back. Perhaps if enough people keep asking, they will start to take back containers-- since these companies are putting out so much plastic, glass and paper-- I love the ones that realize they need to step it up and take it back and off the hands of the consumers.

I'll keep my eyes out for more recycling programs. And of course, your empty moisturizer, shampoo and other plastic bottles should most likely be recyclable. Don't be lazy, be proactive in keeping our use to recycling ratio even.

Earthy Kisses!
S

Comments

Popular Posts