Fresh Supernova Mascara… HUGE disappointment (But Beautiful Lashes?!)


Note: This will be a Like and Loathe piece. Like instead of Love because S only Likes it.

Loathe

S and I spent a considerable amount of time at the Fresh store in the West Village last Saturday. The store smells so good and has such a soothing ambiance. I love to smell all the scents, apply the scrubs and try the glosses. Fresh has such an amazing array of products… perfumes, bath salts, shower gels, shampoo, candles, makeup, various nic nacks… and so much more! The products contain natural, high quality ingredients. The only problem is that… the products are soooooo expensive! One of their creams, Crème Ancienne, retails for $250!!! It’s supposed to reduce wrinkles by 36%. If any of your have tried it for over a month, please comment on your experience!

So, anyways… the very sweet beauty consultant at Fresh, patiently answered, S and my numerous questions. We must have tried out at least 20 products that day! Btw… I love their assortment of glosses. I’ll write about them soon. So, the beauty consultant insisted we try the Fresh mascaras. I looked like quite the slob that day. Ask S! I was wearing workout clothes and some chapstick… actually I forgot my chapstick and had to borrow S’s Rock & Republic gloss. Not bad! I was in dire need of some mascara and gloss! The beauty consultant recommended we try the Supernova Mascara. It is one of their best sellers. She applied the mascara beautifully to my eyes! She rolled the brush while applying it to my lashes. The movement naturally curled my lashes. The color is this gorgeous, darkest of dark blacks, with shine. My eyes just sparkled. I felt like one of those flirty cartoon characters (sometimes a bear or a squirrel) batting her eyelashes at some handsome beast. Unfortunately… I did not meet any handsome beasts that day.

I left the store feeling so happy and uplifted with my mascara purchase. I thought to myself…. Hey handsome beasts… I’m on my way!!!

Monday morning I applied the mascara and went off to work. I visited the loo around lunchtime and was shocked by how tired I looked. I had under eye circles!!! Ahhhh! I went back to my desk feeling bad for myself. The next day I went to the loo and one of my eyes looked like I had been punched the night before and the other eye looked like I had a major under eye circle. This time I realized (Good job G…smart) it was the mascara. I put some of my moisturizer on a piece of tissue and wiped off the loads of the mascara that had seeped into the corner, lid, and bottom of my eye. Honestly the tissue was full of black residue. The mascara within a couple of hours fell off my lashes and into the skin around my eyes! I was highly disappointed. I’m returning the mascara tomorrow! My quest for a fantastic mascara continues…

Hugs,

G

Like

Muppets, I agree with G on this one, with reservation. G don't preach, I'm keeping this baby and I will tell you why.

I love the way my lashes look with this mascara. They are not weird and separated like so many other recent hideous buys have been. I know DiorShow is the best, but I still shop around to make sure I didn't just marry my first love. Well after the disappointments on the market, I am going to run back to DiorShow in January and ask it back into my life.

Anyway G is also right in that I find serious flaking and drip from this mascara. Isn't that a concern from like the 80s? I feel like modern mascaras don't do that leaking off the eyes thing without rain or tears. This one just seeps. I think it's because it never 'sets'. One of the selling points of this puppy is that your lashes feel soft because there are all these conditioning oils in the mascara. So, now you know: If a mascara stays put, it's drying for your eyelashes, if it is conditioning and doesn't make your lashes stiff, it's a leaker. I mean, you touch your lashes even 1 hour later and the color will come off.

I know I am not making a strong case for keeping this thing, but if you could only see the way it makes your eyes look and pop. Maybe you could sacrifice. I would not recommend any type of massive physical activity with this mascara either. It's probably best for a sit and look pretty event, and definitely not for anything that might lead to evening sports. Is that a too-obscure euphemism?

Anyway I like this mascara, it has so many drawbacks. But those giant disney woodland creature-type eyes-- makes me LIKE it. I still won't emphatically endorse this mascara, even though I plan to finish it.

I give it 1.75 out of 5 stars.

Cautious Kisses,

S





Comments

Popular Posts