Brush Hygiene


Hi. Did you know that in order to maintain the life of your brushes you need to clean them regularly? I find soap and water, which a lot of the cosmetic counter girls recommend, to be a little tedious-- in the sense that I have to wash and wash in order to get the water to run clear. A couple of years ago a friend of mine introduced to me to an affordable and efficient brush cleaner from MAC - their Brush Cleaner (that's what it's called!) which costs $11-- and it's totally worth it! 

In those $11, you are getting a cleaning product which lasts quite a long while. For me, 1 bottle will wash my brushes for 4-5 months (I wash about every 2 weeks).  If you apply your foundation with a brush (esp. liquid foundation) I would wash a little more often. Like hair, you don't want to OVER-wash, because it will have the same ill effects on the brush as too much shampooing has on your hair. 

Using the cleaner is meant to disinfect and extend the life of your special, and hopefully good quality brushes (and if you're not buying good brushes, why, I oughta...!)

Sorry, excuse me. 

The brush cleaner: I like to put a decent amount directly on to the brush, then run the brush under water to cheat the color out (don't smash the brush down into the sink). I repeat this a couple of times until the water runs clear.  Then I shake the brush in my shower/tub to get most of the water out. 

Some people will tell you that you just put it the product on a towel and then wipe your brush. No thank you! I want to rinse that chemical out before I put it near my eyes.

To dry the brush, I always lay them flat on a towel. NEVER ever dry them upright (as in handle-side down). The water that may remain in the brush will seep in the commonly wood handles and create rotting. EW!

Good brushes are an investment, and they really will help you apply makeup properly (of course they don't auto-correct user error). 

And clean brushes are also meant to curb the spread of bacteria, especially for us sensitive-skinned girl who aren't strangers to an occasional breakout or 2. 

Disinfected Kisses!
S

PS If you apply your makeup with the sponge, please use a new one every day or every other day (which is wasteful, I know-- but don't scrimp on stuff that has to do with your face). 


Comments

  1. This was a really good suggestion. The MAC brush cleanser worked really well and the price wasn't bad at all. I didn't realize how much makeup was stored in my brushes. Yuck. After I used this, I also felt that my makeup looked better once applied and my face felt cleaner :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Say Something!

Popular Posts