Beautiful Brushes


Brushes are an integral part of the makeup application and correction process. Without the correct tools, it is often more time-consuming and therefore more tedious to put on makeup-- especially for you girls out there who are naturally makeup averse (but honey you would look so great with some mascara, blush and gloss. It'll just give you that *little* something extra). 

If you get good brushes, chances are you will learn to love the makeup application process because it is going to get a lot easier for you. Below I will tell you what my 'essential' and 'optional' brushes are, and some companies that make good pieces (ones that are lasting me YEARS). 

ESSENTIALS

1. The Blush Brush-- you must have a good one, something which is full, won't concentrate your blush in spot, but also won't OVER apply for you (so stay away from the super full bronzer brushes on this one). I also would avoid those flat dusting brushes (the ones that look like one of those old-timey fans) because these ones don't spread the color out the way I like it. 

2. Eyeliner Brush-- Get a significantly dense, flat,  rounded tip eyeliner brush. This is great for blending in your pencil if you want a softer look or have made a mistake. I don't like the too-thin eyeliner brushes because I feel those are limited to the application of liquid or wet shadow, and I don't feel there is enough deposit. 

3. EyeShadow Brush-- Love eyeshadow brushes! I have 2 different ones and they serve me in different capacities. 
A) For my loose shadows/ultra shimmery shadows (even the cakes)- I like to use a soft, round brush, with a rounded top. This will deposit just the right amount of shadow because it doesn't hold too much or put too much pigment in just one spot. Mine is by Kevyn Aucoin. 
 B) For my smokey eye or flat shadows, especially the cakes- Use a very dense (to the point of being somewhat stiff, flat brush with a rounded tip. I love the amount of color these brushes pick up, and they build, but still leave enough behind to help you build up the look. This one is better when you want a true pigment to come out. 

4. Powder Brush- I like a nice soft rounded with a rounded-off top type of powder brush, that is not too dense, so that the powder can be deposited lightly. Personally, I use a kabuki brush which is dense because I wear mineral makeup. If you don't, then get a less tightly-packed brush. 

OPTIONAL

1. Bronzer Brush- Large application area, best for shimmers, face highlighting powders and contour powders. 

2. EyeBrow Brush- Flat, dense brush with and angled tip, best for those of you out there who fill your brows in with powder. You will get the shaping you need with the angled tip and the color will spread and deposit well with a good eyebrow brush. 

3. Concealer Brush 1- Flat, rounded tip brush with longer bristles, very dense. Great for applying concealer and blending it out without your fingers. Especially good for mineral makeup users, and people who blend out lots of spots on their face. Anything requiring broader coverage. 

4. Concealer Brush 2- Long bristles and pointed tip, somewhat flexible. Used primarily for under the eyes, for making  sure the concealer gets into the finer points (like near the eye and the bridge of the nose). 

5. EyeShadow Blending Brush- Round with a flat, angled top, reminiscent of those 80's Kid and Play hairdos. A lot of people have tried to sell this brush to me, and I say NO thank you-- every time. I like my essentials and a couple of extras-- but this brush and the dense eyeshadow brush I recommended above should achieve the whole smokey eye trick. Not bad if you have it, but not life and death without it (not that brushes are ever a matter of life and death... but I digress). 

BRANDS (where I've found the bulk of my brushes).

Trish McEvoy
Paula Dorff (EyeShadow Brush (B))
Kevyn Aucoin
Laura Mercier
Bobbi Brown

Also try...
Japonais Brand (less expensive but reflected in the quality).
Sephora (don't get the synthetic ones-- try to find the soft and natural feeling ones). 

*Tip from reader "N"*- Don't try to cross-use your brushes-- ie. Don't use your powder brush for a quick bronzer touch up. You may end up un-wantedly sparkly the next time you use it if you don't have time to wash in between. Just get 2 separate brushes!

Kisses!

PS! A great tip-- I buy the "travel size" brushes when available. The head is standard, but the handles are shorter, so they pack better into my cosmetics case and I never have to leave one behind. They are not less expensive (unfortunately!). 

PPS- Try and buy a brush roll where you can house your brushes nicely. 

PPPS - The photo is of the Kevyn Aucoin brush set-- which retails for $350. 

Comments

  1. i would like to point out that it is important not to leverage your powder brush to apply bronzer / blush... otherwise when you go back to just powder the next day, you end up with sparkly stuff all over your face - as i realized a few weeks ago while driving to a client meeting.. oops! hopefully they didn't notice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. N is so right! Never cut corners and use the powder blush for a bronzer brush. I should have included that in the post. I am going to edit it. Thanks for the reminder. !! xx S
    PS- I've been that overshimmery girl in the inappropriate setting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Say Something!

Popular Posts