Mascara: Good, Better, Best $20+ (and the Ugly $20+)


Mascara is my absolute favorite beauty enhancer. I love it when lashes look thick and lustrous, but not coated in layers of goop. I have long lashes but they are not that thick. All my findings are based on my lashes and my application methods (don’t worry, I am always getting compliments). Here are my top 3 choices in the Good, Better, Best series. And the one that I call UGLY.

The keys to a good mascara: 1) THE BRUSH (I can’t overemphasize this point) 2) Formula.
Lash type tested on: Long but relatively scant lashes.
All mascaras tested are the darkest black available, and are NOT waterproof.
Best application trick: Start at the base, wiggle your way up, push towards the bridge of your nose, lashes will look fat and full.

Good: Shu Uemeura Mascara Basic
- This gets a “Good” because it’s a very ‘natural’ looking mascara. It’s a gentle formula, not very thickening, but great for when you want just that notch-up look on your lashes. Sophisticated and chic looking on the lashes— but not my favorite in terms of that luscious lash look that I covet.

Good for when you’re dating ‘that guy’, the one who audibly complains that he hates when women wear makeup— but doesn’t realize that you are wearing lots of different makeup and that’s it’s a total insult to you without him even knowing it. This is just the formula to trick him, while heightening your natural look. And then he compliments you on how you have such naturally beautiful big eyes and you just laugh to yourself because a) you know it’s not going to last and b) money well spent…

Better: YSL FauxCils

- Better, because it has a dense brush and provides you with that gorgeous movie-star lash look where people keep telling you, “omg, you look AMAZING today” but they can’t quite put their finger on what it is. One coat looks like 5. It’s a very dangerous weapon. Use with caution, as men will be swarming you with every coquettish flutter.
CAVEAT EMPTOR: This is a BITCH to get off. I lost at least 5 lashes every time I took this mascara off, and no matter what anyone tells you, I don’t really believe lashes grow back. And as you get older, your lashes get more and more scant, so they’re precious! This formula is SERIOUS. I only wear it on those days when I need to look that-much-over-the-top glam. And I know the consequences. Night of compliments traded off for life-long loss of lashes. Oh and if you somehow end up having to ‘sleep’ in this mascara, you’ll probably never hear from him again because he will wake up to that scary movie-cliched racoon-eyed monster…

Best: Dior DiorShow

- Best. So I know this is the mascara ‘everyone’ recommends, so it might be nothing new, but allow me to wax poetic about my love for this product. I find this to be the best brush, best formulation and overall best everyday mascara. It gives a lush, full lash. Two coats and I’m good to go. And it’s easy to get off (regular, not waterproof). It looks professional for work, and sexy for play.

I wear it on the red-eye, I’ve worn it to bed (oops!), I’ve worn it in light RAIN (ok it was a light mist) and somehow, I’ve still managed to look relatively put together.
THE UGLY: DiorShow Black Out

-The UGLY. Yikes, don’t be confused, this is the limited edition Blackout formula, and it’s awful. My lashes looked a fright, like some hot spidery mess thing going on with the eye-zone. Bad for naturally long lashes. HOWEVER I have a friend, with short, thick lashes and she loves this product. So know thy self.

Kisses!

S.

P.S.
Also I wanted to put out an honorable mention for a mascara that did me right for so many years. Then, one day, it just quit on me. The mascara was Chanel, and my love affair ended in 2005— all of a sudden the too-wet formula left a gobeldy-gooky mess on my lashes. But Chanel (in the square tube), you were my one and only for all those years… For all the years we spent together, I had to mention you in these pages. I don’t know what happened to you, but all I can say is good times. Good times.

Chanel (square tube) 1999-2005

X S.

Comments

  1. That's it I am writing it - -You are so right! Dior Show Blackout = Prescription for a Hot Trannie Mess!!! Thank you for steering me towards regular DiorShow!

    ~B

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Say Something!

Popular Posts