Benetint SPF 15 Lip Balm. Coming up Roses.


Just like G loves butter, I love ROSES.
I was at the Benefit store yesterday in San Francisco, and I tried on all types of products. As the finishing touch, my makeup artist took a little brush and dabbed on a brilliant ruby-colored gloss on my lips. The lady (me) protested, but when I looked in the mirror, I had my DREAM pink pout. What was this magical balm on my lips. And what was that smell? Was it ROSES? Where was that coming from?

I had just met Benefit's Benetint SPF 15 Rose Lip Balm, $20. Beyond the fact that this pomegranate shaded pot* of balm goes on sheer, it is made with (or scented with) rose water. The lip balm is made to impart the well-loved Benetint color to give that just bitten/cherry chapstick touch. Unlike nasty Chapstick brand chapstick (sorry ladies, but please use Aquaphor if you want the healing ointment that actually works)-- this balm is filled with healing vitamin E and also contains a sunscreen. Yes, you need sunscreen for your lips because lips are actually the thinnest and most penetrable part of your face by harmful UVA and UVB rays.

My friend JC loved it too. It took both our lip colors and heightened them to right shade of rose. Plus the smell is so light and divine. It's almost imperceptible but just exotic and rosy enough. It does NOT smell or taste like an old lady perfume. It reminds me of the purest fresh rose from the garden. Having used it for about 24 hours, my lips are SO SOFT! I am just overjoyed with this product.

I am so opposed to pots! But I buckled and bought this because it was just so juicy delicious on my mouth. It is a soft balm, vibrant and sheer at the same time, and spreads like a treat. I have been so disappointed with vitamin E laden treatments that are incapable of soaking into my lips *Diane Brill I am looking at you*. I cannot wait to use this again and again. I am using my fingernail to pick some product out of the pot at the moment (to avoid finger contamination). I don't know how much infestation I am saving by doing that, but ah. That is how it is. I like it too much to turn it down.
The girl at the Benefit counter showed me the alternative product which consisted of the same concept: A Benetint and then a shiny gloss. That one comes in a double-sided tube and you have to apply it all one at a time. Guess what happened when she tried to show it to me? She accidentally tipped the tube, and the entire Benetint side spilled all over the counter. It was so liquidy! And I am so used to glosses that stay in their tube, I would probably be the first person to tip that little wand and spill all the color. What a HORRID design and delivery mechanism for such a liquid-y product. The pot is a pain to carry around at night, but the wand is just plain old impractical.

Just FYI: You will be marking your territory with this stuff. It comes off very easily. I was told that even after the shine wears off, the tint stays. Yeah, not so much, even though the wear is not too bad. I definitely won't be using this as a once-a-day item, but it's also not something you have to constantly reapply.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly:

The Good: Wonderful, effective lip balm with great tint. Smells and tastes lovely. SPF 15. Filled with vitamin E.
The Bad: $20 for a pot of gloss.
The Ugly: Only comes in a pot.

Overall I give it 3 out of 5 stars. That's pretty darn good!
Rosy Kisses!
S.

Comments

Popular Posts