Quick Sunday Facial



Yesterday my co-worker asked me where I get my facials. I felt bad telling her this… but I honestly had no good recommendations! I haven’t had a professional facial in over a year and a half. I have had the worst luck with facials in NY. You put a lot of trust into these aestheticians. You are lying on the equivalent of a massage table, pretty much naked… totally vulnerable, and some woman you hardly know is picking and prodding at your face. To me the experience is absolutely terrifying. I am extremely careful with how I handle my skin and I want my aesthetician to do the same!!! I absolutely hate it when they try to up-sell me…

Aestheticn at Lather NY says: Oh honeeeey your eye brows are horrrrrrid, (I have hardly any eyebrows, so how horrid could they really be), we have a girl here who once (HA! only once!!!) did Oprah’s eye brows. Great deal! Only $75! ($75… What the..!!!)

I told the woman at Lather that my skin is very sensitive. She insisted that my pores were so clogged up, and that I would absolutely need extractions. I was pretty freaked out, but I let her extract away. I was in soooo much pain! I very rarely breakout! It seriously felt like she did squeezed over 100 pores! When she handed me the mirror after the facial, I almost burst out into tears! I was covered in red bumps! I look horrible. When she saw the terrified look on my face, she told me that the redness and bumps would go away. The redness did go away, but I had tons of little dark surface scars for months!!! I had a very similar experience at Mario Bedescu Spa. And to make matters worse the woman kept walking away every five minutes to chat with her friends. The facial took almost 2 ½ hours!

My worst experience was at Bliss Spa in NY. Okay… you know I can rattle on and on… so I’ll be quick. Basically the woman told me I had cystic acne (I had one zit!). You know the kind of zit that is deep in your skin. I told her to be careful. I even said… oh don’t worry about it, these things pass… don’t worry about it. She insisted that she was a professional and began to squeeze the hell out of it. I left with a small blood mark (almost the look of a burst blood vessel in your eye) on my left lower cheek. This time I left the room with tears in my eyes. I woman at the front desk insisted that the mark would go away. The blood mark took about 5 days to go away. I was left with a dark spot that eventually peeled away and left a small pock mark!!! Ahhh!!! Writing this makes me soooo mad! The scar is still on my face almost a year and a half later. It’s like a little crater! Next time you see me I’ll show you!!!

So, lesson for G. Facials are not for me! Some of my friends love getting facials and love their aesthetician. Good for you! I’ll stick to my light Sunday facial!

I do an at home facial two Sundays a month. I haven’t had a breakout in over a year! Here’s what I do:

Sunday Facial:

Supplies - Large fabric headband, medium sized pot, large towel, one mint tea bag, two cotton balls or cotton pads, your favorite mask, and your favorite face scrub

Step 1: Boil some water in a medium sized pot. Once water is boiling, take the pot off the stove, put it on a kitchen towel and place it on your kitchen table. I like to add an herbal tea, preferably mint into the pot. Apply the large fabric head band onto your head so that you don’t get a bunch of frizzies around your face. Put your head over the pot (not too close to the water of course!) and place a towel over your head so you can get the best steam possible. Steam for about 10 minutes.

Step 2: When the ten minutes are complete, take the two cotton balls or cotton pads and wipe your face off using a bit of pressure. Check out all the gunk that comes off your face!!! That’s the icky junk has been stuck in your pores! Ewwww! Splash your face with cold water and then pat your skin lightly with your large towel.

Step 3: Apply the mask to your face. I like to use a thicker mask for my Sunday facials. I use Plantidote™ Mega-Mushroom Skin-Calming Face Mask from Origins. This mask is amazing! I leave it on for about ten minutes. It leaves my skin clean and glowing.

Step 4: Gently wash the mask off your face with luke warm water. While your skin is still moist, use your favorite scrub to lightly exfoliate your face. I like to use Befine Exfoliating Cleanser.

This simple facial has done wonders for my skin! My scars from my horrid facials are little by little disappearing… and my skin is glowing! No more breakouts. I feel like my skin looks better now that it ever has.

Hey, I’m not a dermatologist or an aesthetician… but over the years I have figured out what works for my skin. Never let a aesthetician do something you are not comfortable with! Ask your friend who have great skin where they go. Do you research!!! If you do decide to get a facial tell the aesthetician your fears and concerns. Hey lady! It’s your skin… for life! Take care of it!

Hugs!

G

Comments

  1. I don't like facials. They are actually quite painful. I am going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Said coworker tried the official "Sunday Facial" (although it was on a Tuesday) and really enjoyed. It's not too hard to do yourself and my skin wasn't overdry or overdone afterwards. Plus it wasn't 80 bucks. I'm going to make it a regular routine and see what happens!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Say Something!

Popular Posts