Kevyn Aucoin- Still Making Faces


Today, I was tidying up my room, and I came across one of my favorite books-- a manual, really-- by one of the most impressive talents from the makeup world: Kevyn Aucoin and his book, "Making Faces." (click here to get it).

I would leaf through this book endlessly, and for the sliver of makeup talent I possess, I have to thank Kevyn. His book is an absolute manual on makeup styles, written in the most approachable and easy-to-understand manner. He was self-taught, and he writes that this allowed him to explore his creative freedom. This book is so comprehensive and evergreen, you will never need anything else to understand makeup technique (well, other than practice).

May 7th was the 10 year anniversary of his death. Even though his time with us was short, he was able to leave behind a distinct mark on the world of makeup and photography.

I clearly remember feeling so disappointed that I would never have the chance to meet him (although this brings up my ever-present dilemma of, "what would I even say to him? You're amazing, an inspiration, a talent"--?? He already knows. I have no clue what I would say to anyone I idolize).

I began trying his looks on myself years ago, and his devotion to all things easy, glamorous and eyebrows have always won me over. If you have ever been interested in learning the whole gamut of makeup-- from simple basics to exotic techniques-- or seeing celebrity transformations, get this book. (I love love love looking at how he can morph anyone into a beauty, men into women, celebs into other famous faces).

His passion for his craft is so evident in his anecdotes, his frank approach to beauty and his mantra of there being no rules in makeup.

Thanks, Kevyn.

P.S. His techniques live in his eponymous beauty line which is available at Neiman Marcus and Henri Bendel's. His concealer is the greatest stage makeup, and his brushes are divine.

X
 S.


Comments

  1. Cabinet Concepts in Edmonton specialize in custom kitchen and bathroom cabinets. Edmonton custom cabinets for all homes, shapes and sizes. Get your custom made, semi custom, stock cabinets or pre-fabricated designs for both kitchen and bathroom areas. Contact Cabinet Concepts Inc in Edmonton for more information.
    Custom Cabinets, Edmonton, Kitchen Cabinets, Bathroom Cabinets, Vanity, Vanities, Cabinet Maker, Cabinetry, Semi Custom, Stock Cabinets, Cabinet Concepts, Kitchen Remodelling, Modern cabinets, Vanities Edmonton, Custom washrooms, Bamboo cabinets, Stone Tile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cabinet Concepts in Edmonton specialize in custom kitchen and bathroom cabinets. Edmonton custom cabinets for all homes, shapes and sizes. Get your custom made, semi custom, stock cabinets or pre-fabricated designs for both kitchen and bathroom areas. Contact Cabinet Concepts Inc in Edmonton for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take our services for enjoying a bachelorette-party with right budget.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is where she really stole my heart, a whole collect of Justin’s Nut Butter Samples… I die. I’m a nut butter addict. And there were so many different flavors. They may or may not have been gone within a few days…

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Say Something!

Popular Posts